Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The Power of Hope


Why do we run away and escape to TV, alcohol, unbalanced relationships, etc? Why do we chase after the "almighty" dollar, riches, and possessions of all kinds? It seems that people want peace. A peace that is not satisfied by the trivialities mentioned above. Many people have given up hope and moved into despair. We often don't believe that the world can be changed through us by something more powerful than ourselves. But why? Because we've been disappointed, and people have let us down when we have had great hopes.

Hope and perpetual surrender to Christ are directly related to the peace that we have. An unshakable faith is built by stepping into scary places and waiting on God to come through. When He does, our faith grows. We just don't get to see past the step of faith. We know only that we must be on our knees ready to obey. Our view of the final outcome is affected by our belief/knowledge of the goodness of God. What does he say about hope, peace and obedience?

He says that Christ came that we might have Life, and that we might have it to the full [emphasis mine]. That obedience is more desirable than sacrifice, and that available is a peace that passes all understanding. May we love each other in such a way that others sit up and take notice and have desire for that kind of life. May God renew your hope and desire for things yet to come, and for the Divine in the daily. May you find the time to slow down, turn off the TV, the music and the computer, and let Christ speak to your heart and say "Peace, be still."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sam-
I've come back to this post again. I'm not sure what else I'm needing, but I'm pretty sure I need to have my hope renewed. Thanks

Sam said...

I think we all need our hope renewed on a daily basis. I've found it's important for me to remember what my hope is in (or who)

Peace, and thanks for the post