Thursday, May 24, 2007

Peace and Punishment, a not so Common Sense thing


It is a difficult thing, forgiveness. It's also a very difficult thing to not punish wrongdoers. Is there compromise? Does it depend on the outcome. Is peace the greatest good, or just a figment of our imaginations? If we offer amnesty, do we encourage more violence by evil people (read: if there is no punishment/discipline, what's to keep people from repeating the offense?)
How do we move on when so much wrong has been done by all sides?
What hope is there to answer the injustice? This is a brief venting of frustrations. I believe the best answer is to work to prevent most of these things from ever happening (Easier said than done, I know). But how do we do that? I don't know, but there are some things I'm willing to do to attempt to sway myself from apathy.
1. Be Content. I don't need your stuff.
2. Promote Peace in my relationships
3. Promote Peace with my words and actions in other public spheres.
4. Find new ways to be an agent of change for good.

3 comments:

katy said...

Hmmm, tri in September... I'll think about it. :)

Josh Kleinfeld said...

sam, good thoughts here.

i think there is some hope that people will seek peace not because of fear of punishment, but because of desire of goodness.

some say that virtue is doing the right thing not to avoid punishment but because it is the right thing.

however, how do we deal with people who do not think this way and are on a different moral/philosophical plane. that will forever be the question.

Sam said...

Katie. you know you want to.

Josh: your "however" question in the last paragraph is really what prompted the post. The LRA in Uganda and Joseph Kony tend to discourage me a bit, but what to do?