Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Going green with your H20 (Public Service Announcement)

It has come to the attention of the author that many people (the author chief among the offenders) use far too many disposable containers to hold food and beverage.

Sure it's easy to just grab a plastic cup or plate and throw it away, but it would be a whole lot better to ease up on filling landfills and the like and lessen our need for mass quantities of plastic. It's also cheaper.

There are other alleged repercussions involving the ways in which we live affecting things like cancer in humans. Some of these questions are raised by Michael Sleeth of A Rocha

He also gave a good talk about Conservationism, simplicity, and a bit about the whole cancer thing. You can find it here (you'll want July 8th, "Serve God Save the Planet"). The sermons around this one are also intriguing.

The picture above illustrates some of the author's efforts to change the way he effects the world around him. Small yes (well the liter mug isn't small, but the effort is). Is it a little odd to use a beer glass for water in the workplace? Maybe, but it's also a great way to start a good conversation about taking care of what we've been given. Appreciating our blessings without exploiting them.

4 comments:

Steve Cullum said...

I've been doing this for a while. I can't seem to remember to bring a glass for water to work, but my coffee mug is used daily, and I feel like I should go to hell if I use a styrofoam cup for less than a week. So I use the same styrofoam cup everyday for a week or two or three.

Anonymous said...

This is why I've been refilling the same Ice Mountain water bottle for two months now. Big ups!

Sam said...

mr. swaim, for you I would specifically recommend the hofbrau house glass. In the spirit of redux, it also is multi-purpose...

Anonymous said...

you rule!! cheers from my eddie bauer water jug.

-p.s.- i think i am good inspiration for many of your blogs..haha