Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Reformation: sad, but certainly the source of some good theology in song


Good stuff right here. Even better considering people "trash-sang" each other with this.

A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing;Our helper He, amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing:For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe;His craft and power are great, and, armed with cruel hate,On earth is not his equal.

Did we in our own strength confide, our striving would be losing;Were not the right Man on our side, the Man of God’s own choosing:Dost ask who that may be? Christ Jesus, it is He;Lord Sabaoth, His Name, from age to age the same,And He must win the battle.

And though this world, with devils filled, should threaten to undo us,We will not fear, for God hath willed His truth to triumph through us:The Prince of Darkness grim, we tremble not for him;His rage we can endure, for lo, his doom is sure,One little word shall fell him.

That word above all earthly powers, no thanks to them, abideth;The Spirit and the gifts are ours through Him Who with us sideth:Let goods and kindred go, this mortal life also;The body they may kill: God’s truth abideth still,His kingdom is forever.

8 comments:

Carrie said...

That's a wordy song. Good stuff. Whenever I sing a song like that, my brain is busily trying to keep up with my mouth in regards to comprehending what I am saying. :)

Timothy Miller said...

If you work for it, you can find different translations of Luther's German - because in this traditional English version you miss theological concepts like "the man of God's own choosing" being the word for the NT concept of election.

Something I keep thinking: "Long after the people have forgotten my sermons, they'll still be singing the songs!"

That's why emotional Charles still has a broader theological impact than John.

And that's why we'd better have somebody keeping the theological crap out of our church's songbooks...

Timothy Miller said...

I sound like a cranky old man yelling at the kids to get out of his yard.

Sam said...

Tim, actually the site I got the words from had the "german" translation with what you're referring to, but as you know, I am a simpleton, so I went with the common text.

I totally agree about keeping bad theology out of our songbooks. I get irked at a lot of places by the things sung, thus the patterns of thought implanted in people's cerebrums. Powerful stuff, the things we repeat over and over.

Sam said...

maybe sometime we can sit on a porch together and yell at people...or maybe just talk to them. :D Hopefully we'll be living humbly enough that people will want to listen...

Nate Youngblood said...

Just so you know, I'll be instructing my grandkids to run through your yards, just so I can sit on my porch and laugh at you yelling at them. It'll be great.

MICHELLE CULLUM said...

did i detect a lure in for a calvinist/wesleyan debate? its been a long time since i've had one of those.
Reformation: definitely not sad, necessary for sure.
Pimp slapping the mother church...diggin it. i guess i shouldn't talk, it was once said that I "kiss the pope's boots"
if i saw all three of you on a porch together....

Sam said...

I don't know if anyone's seen my yard, but if you want to run on it, you go right ahead. I'll be crotchety about other things, such as kids who sit around whining about being bored. They shall sense my wrath.

Kyle: I intended no such lure, but if you'd like to be a firestarter, I can give you my password to let the controversy begin. :D

Oh man, we need to have a porch party somewhere. I'm thinking blue ridge mountains, quality libations, maybe some fumando...mmm, good times